Friday, November 27, 2009

Fruitcake Friday

Okay, so I'll bring dessert for Christmas Dinner! Be afraid, be very afraid... The Friday after Thanksgiving is typically Fruitcake Friday in the years when I decide to bake this delicious and much-maligned treat that is so wonderful to savor with a nice, restoring cup of tea, sometimes laced with a wee drop... I have always loved fruitcake and have made it since I was a teenager. This year I decided to go back to basics and make the first recipe I ever tried, in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. This is the dark fruitcake recipe. Here's a wee piccie of my treasures. They are ready to be wrapped in whiskey soaked cloth and put away in the wine cellar to mellow out for Christmas :0) It's hard to wait, but they are oh, so much better with the aging. And dinna fash, I willna be carting any to anyone unless there is a specific request. Don't you all shout out at once, now!!!

Other than that, I took some pictures of the pups, wanted to be sure to get a phto of Kip before he leaves. Which isn't until Monday, but you never know how things are going to go, and I was upstairs with the camera to capture the fruitcake, and took the opportunity:
I don't know what it is about the Yorkies (or maybe it's my camera) but I can't seem to get a good picture of them. Just so you know that this isn't just Toby in disguise, here is Toby:
And of course, we couldn't leave it with just Keilei's bum in the picture, so here's my girl:
Other than the obvious, I messed around in the bathroom some more. I put in the caulking and took out two more tiles and found another hole in the wall. I may end up having to have a new tub wall unit put in. I have a call in to Les to see what he thinks. He is in Montana for the holiday, helping his dad build his house out there, somewhere by Whitefish, I believe. So I will cover the tiles and we'll just have to be careful when we shower.
I also made a butternut squash soup for my Anam Cara gathering tomorrow. We'll hope the driving will be less eventful than the last time. Steffie is driving us out to Marjorie's so we should be fine. We had some rain last night and this morning, but tomorrow is supposed to be dry. It cleared up this afternoon and the sun shone and Janet and I took the doggies for a walk in the daytime for a change. It was nice to let Keilei and Toby run in the park a bit. I couldn't take Kip off his lead, since he is in a strange neighborhood and I couldn't risk him getting away. But he has one of those expando-leashes so he had a 15 foot range. I don't think he suffered too much.
This is it for now. Gotta go soak those fruitcakes! Hugs, The Auld Girl

1 comment:

  1. FRUITCAKE! Why are they maligned? They are WONDERFUL, & I admire that you have the energy to make them.

    I think your Yorkie pic is just perfect, that sweet golden face and happy doggy smile. Toby's a pretty boy.

    ReplyDelete